I am a 5th-year Ph.D. student at Zhejiang University, and a member of the USSLab (Ubiquitous System Security Laboratory) led by Prof. Wenyuan Xu. I received my undergraduate degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Zhejiang University in 2015. My research is focused on the security of sensing, with a particular interest in signals from the physical world to analog and digital systems. The systems I have studied include sensors, mobile devices, automobiles, IoT, medical devices, voice assistants, etc.
Securing voice assistants
Securing sensors of self-driving vehicles
Securing in-car wireless sensor networks
1. Chen Yan, Yan Long, Xiaoyu Ji, Wenyuan Xu. “The Catcher in the Field: A Fieldprint based Spoofing Detection for Text-Independent Speaker Verification”, to appear at ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS) 2019.
2. Chen Yan, Hocheol Shin, Connor Bolton, Wenyuan Xu, Yongdae Kim, Kevin Fu. “SoK: A Minimalist Approach to Formalizing Analog Sensor Security”, to appear at IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (S&P) 2020.
3. Chen Yan, Guoming Zhang, Xiaoyu Ji, Tianchen Zhang, Taimin Zhang, Wenyuan Xu. “The Feasibility of Injecting Inaudible Voice Commands to Voice Assistants”, to appear on IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC).
4. Xinyan Zhou, Xiaoyu Ji, Chen Yan, Jiangyi Deng, Wenyuan Xu. “NAuth: Secure Face-to-Face Device Authentication via Nonlinearity”, In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM). 2019.
5. Chen Yan, Kevin Fu, Wenyuan Xu. “On Cuba, Diplomats, Ultrasound, and Intermodulation Distortion.” Computers in Biology and Medicine 104 (2019): 250-266.
6. Wenyuan Xu, Chen Yan, Weibin Jia, Xiaoyu Ji, Jiaohao Liu. “Analyzing and Enhancing the Security of Ultrasonic Sensors for Autonomous Vehicles. ” IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 5.6 (2018): 5015-5029.
7. Chen Yan, Kevin Fu, and Wenyuan Xu. “On Cuba, Diplomats, Ultrasound, and Intermodulation Distortion.” Technical report. 2018.
8. Guoming Zhang, Chen Yan (co-first author), Xiaoyu Ji, Tianchen Zhang, Taimin Zhang, and Wenyuan Xu. “DolphinAttack: Inaudible Voice Commands.” In Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS). 2017. (Acceptance ratio: 18%, Best Paper Award).
9. Kevin Fu, Harold Thimbleby, Wenyuan Xu, and Chen Yan. “Ransomware: How we can climb out of this mess.” China Medical Devices, 32, 7 (2017), 167-168.
10. Benjamin Ransford, Daniel B. Kramer, Denis Foo Kune, Julio Auto de Medeiros, Chen Yan, Wenyuan Xu, Thomas Crawford, and Kevin Fu. “Cybersecurity and medical devices: A Practical guide for cardiac electrophysiologists.” Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology 40.8 (2017): 913-917.
11. Chen Yan, Wenyuan Xu, and Jianhao Liu. “Can you trust autonomous vehicles: Contactless attacks against sensors of self-driving vehicles.” DEF CON 24. 2016.
12. Chen Yan, and Wenyuan Xu. “Security and Privacy Challenges of Modern Automobiles.” Communications of the CCF, 12, 1 (2016), 20-27.